Makes 1 soda cake
200g/ 8 oz wholemeal flour
200g/ 8 oz plain white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bread soda, sieved
300ml / ½ pt of buttermilk
Preheat oven to 210°C/450°F/Gas 8
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in most of the buttermilk.
- Using one hand with the fingers open and stiff, stir in a full circle, drawing in the flour from the sides of the bowl, until all flour is incorporated, and adding more milk if necessary. The dough should be soft but not too wet or sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface.
- Wash and dry your hands here.
- Roll the dough around gently with lightly floured hands, just enough to tidy it up, then turn over. Shape into a 2 inch / 6cm thick (in height) pat.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a baking sheet or line with parchment and place the bread on it.
- Make a deep cross in the top with a serrated knife, then prick the four quadrants with the same knife.
- Reduce the heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 and bake for another 25 mins until bread is cooked. When it is cooked it will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom and you may need to turn it upside down for the last 5 mins and place it back in the oven.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.