This recipe serves 6
This is a classic gluten free cake.
200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp baking powder
200g ground almonds
250g caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 lemon, zest and juice
To serve: mascarpone or crème fraîche, redcurrants, icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the polenta, baking powder and ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk together the butter and sugar for until pale and fluffy. Mix the eggs and vanilla essence into the butter mixture a spoonful at a time, ensuring it is well incorporated before adding the next spoonful.
4. When the eggs have been combined, beat in the polenta mixture. Finally, add the lemon zest and the juice. Pour mixture into a 20cm cake tin lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes until risen and firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.