Makes 8-12 tarts
450g puff pastry (jus rol is fine)
275ml / ½ pint milk
zest of 1 orange
1 vanilla pod, scraped out
4 egg yolks
150g / 5oz caster sugar
1½ tbsp plain flour
Equipment: Muffin tins
- Grease muffin tins lightly with butter (sometimes this is not necessary if enough fat in pastry).
- If the pastry is not pre rolled, roll out to 2ml thickness.
- Line moulds with pastry.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Heat the milk with orange zest and vanilla till scalded.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar till pale. Stir in the flour.
- Strain the milk onto the egg mix, whisking all the time.
- Fill each tart to the brim.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes until set and slightly browned on top.