1 quantity of shortcrust pastry, made using 170g flour
300g mincemeat (See recipe)
pinch of salt
icing sugar to dust
Pre heat the oven to 180 C.
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow to chill for 20 minutes.
- Choose two pastry cutters, one that is slightly larger than the other. You can also use glasses to cut out circles of pastry.
- Roll out the pastry, and cut 12 bases. Line a patty tin with the pastry rounds and fill each with a dessertspoon of mincemeat.
- Cut smaller circles of pastry and using the beaten egg, stick them into position to form lids for the mince pies.
- Brush with the beaten egg and chill again for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and take the mince pies out of the tin. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Note. The mince pies freeze very well unbaked, don't glaze them until you wish to bake them off.