4 egg whites, room temperature
225g caster sugar
¹⁄8 tsp salt
125ml cream, freshly whipped
Preheat oven to 100°C-110ºC/200°F
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Then add half the sugar, and the salt and continue to whisk until the mixture holds its shape and is glossy.
- Gently fold in the remainder of the sugar with a clean metal spoon.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe the mixture onto the tray with a piping bag (alternatively use two wet dessert spoons and from a height, drop a good dollop of mixture onto parchment paper and shape from around the edges, working from the base upwards and inwards and ending with a peaked swirl on the top (they will rise slightly)).
- Cook in the oven for 1¾ - 2 hours (if you like them slightly chewy in the middle they will take a little less time).
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve two meringues sandwiched together with freshly whipped cream or Strawberry Ripple Ice cream (see recipe).
NOTE: To successfully whisk egg whites, use clean grease free equipment and avoid even the smallest speck of egg yolk getting into the egg whites.