225g shortcrust pastry (or pre-rolled shortcrust pastry)
3 ripe dessert apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 tbsp apricot jam
1 tbsp lemon juice
For the filling
100g caster sugar
1 beaten egg
1 egg yolk
100g ground almonds
2 tbsp flour
Equipment: 20cm loose bottomed flan tin, electric whisk, pastry brush
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
- Make shortcrust pastry and line a greased tin with pastry. Put in the fridge until chilled.
- Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar until pale and soft.
- Add the egg and yolk slowly to avoid the mixture curdling.
- Add the ground almonds and flour.
- Spoon into the flan case and spread out evenly. Put back in the fridge for 10 mins to harden up slightly.
- Cut the apples into quarters, peel and remove pips. Thinly slice.
- Arrange on top of the tart and place in the oven, checking after 15 minutes and turn the oven down to 170°C. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes. Take out when golden brown.
- Heat the jam in a small pan with the lemon juice. Sieve and loosen with a little water if necessary. Brush the warm glaze over the top of the tart and serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with vanilla or cinnamon flavoured cream.