Picture: Food & Wine Magazine/Harry Weir
50g stoned dates, finely chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
Equipment - dariole moulds or muffin tray, or ramekins, or paper muffin cases.
1. Grease a baking tin approx 28cm x 18cm in size or use individual pudding or dariole
2. Boil the chopped dates in the water for 5 minutes until soft, then add the bicarbonate of
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until combined, gradually beat in the eggs.
4. Mix in the dates, flour and vanilla essence, stir well.
5. Form into the greased baking tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for approx. 30-40
minutes, until firm to the touch.
6. Carefully portion the sponge (or remove from the individual moulds).