125g caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp for sprinkling or use icing sugar for dusting.
2 tbsp warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g plain flour
For the filling
6 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
225ml double cream, whipped
Equipment 10"X15" swiss roll tin
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Line the base of the baking tin with parchment or baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a large bowl or in an electric food mixed until light and fluffy, then add the water and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour, about one third at a time, and fold it into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture gently into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 12-15 mins, or until the center of the cake is slightly springy and the edges have shrunk a little from the sides of the tin.
- Spread out a piece of baking or parchment paper (slightly larger than the tin in size) on a work surface and sprinkle evenly with caster sugar (this prevents the roll from sticking to the paper)
- Turn onto the sugared baking paper, then carefully remove the tin and greaseproof paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Place another sheet of greaseproof paper over the Swiss roll and begin to roll it up starting at either of the longest ends.
- Place a slightly damp, clean tea towel over the cake while it cools - this will prevent it drying out and cracking.
- When the cake is cool, carefully unroll it, spread it evenly with the jam, followed by the whipped cream.
- With the longest side facing you, roll it up away from you, then transfer to a plate to serve.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar or dust with icing sugar to finish.