10-15 cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground
100g caster sugar
1 sachet gelatine powder (11g)
1 large tub natural yoghurt (450ml)
ripe mango, to serve (or tinned mango)
mint, to garnish
Equipment: Spice Grinder. Dariole moulds, ramekins, or espresso cups to serve.
- Grind the cardamom seeds in spice grinder or crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Put the milk, sugar, cream and cardamom into a saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse.
- Put 3 tbsp of cold water into a pyrex bowl. Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and allow to dissolve slightly for a few minutes. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water until the gelatine has melted and is completely clear.
- Add a little of the cardamom infused milk to the gelatine mixture, stir well and then mix in to the rest of the cardamom infused milk. Whisk in the yoghurt.
- Pour into individual dariole moulds or ramekins and leave to set for a few hours or overnight. The set dessert should be firm but with movement. Serve with a fruit salad.
Cooks Note: Gelatine is the soluble protein obtained by boiling bones and connective tissues in water and later purifying.
Cooks Note: It is useful to remember 3-4 sheets gelatine = 1 tbsp powdered gelatine = 600ml liquid.