1. Prepare a rub by mixing together the marinade ingredients (oregano, smoked paprika, curry powder, chilli, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, cinnamon stick and olive oil). Rub the mixture into the lamb, then marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C
3. Heat a large heavy based pan (casserole) over a high heat. Add in olive oil and seal the outsides of the lamb until browned on all sides. Discard any excess oil at this stage.
4. Add the carrots, shallots and bay leaves to the casserole and brown for a minute or two. Place the lamb atop the onions and carrots. Add the wine to de-glaze the pan, scraping up the bits from the bottom, then bring to the boil. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then transfer covered to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours until the meat is really tender and the sauce reduced (basting the shanks halfway through to stop them drying out). Throw in a few cherry tomatoes towards the end of cooking.
5. Remove the cooked meat from the oven and serve garnished with the fresh herbs, radishes, scallions and spoon over the cooking juices.
This recipe is made on our Slow Cooking course. Why not come along to our next class to learn how to make this recipe and more?