1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
500g (2-3 medium) whole leeks, trimmed, carefully washed and thinly sliced
1.2 litres chicken stock (use only 2 stock cubes)
500g potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise and finely diced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and leeks and sauté just until they begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock and potatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low. cover and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Liquidise with a handheld blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with chives / cream etc.
Cooks Note: To achieve a silky smooth consistency, pass soup through a fine strainer (known as a 'moulin'), which removes the fibrous texture.