Serves: 5 Cups
150g granulated sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp Chilli powder
2 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp all-spice powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large egg white
800g mixed raw nuts such as almonds , cashews, pecans, walnuts
- Preheat oven to 150°C and put an oven rack in the centre. Line a rimmed baking sheet with greaseproof/parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar with salt and all the spices.
- In a large bowl use a whisk to whip the egg whites until it increases in volume, is frothy and all liquid from the egg has been aerated. Add the mixed raw nuts and spiced sugar mixture and toss until well combined.
- Spread the nut mixture evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and transfer to the oven to bake, stirring with a wooden spoon half way through the cooking process, until the nuts are lightly browned (about 40 minutes)
- Remove the cooked nuts from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally until cooled.
To Serve: Transfer spiced nuts to serving bowls, or make ahead by storing in an airtight container for up to 2 days.