Ingredients for the Pizza Base
300g strong white flour
1 sachet dried yeast
1 pinch of salt
1 tbsp olive oil
200ml warm water
1 tsp sugar
To Make the Dough
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt and olive oil. Slowly add water to the mixture to make a soft dough.
- Mix for 5 minutes using an electric mixer (dough hook), until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a clean bowl (coated in oil or flour to prevent sticking), cover with cling film or a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm area for approximately one hour, or until doubled in size.
Ingredients for Pizza
1 pizza base as made above
3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil for brushing the dough
2 tbsp coarse sea salt
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp of finely chopped rosemary
8oz hard farmhouse cow's milk cheese, eg, Gabriel
8oz hard farmhouse sheeps milk cheese, eg, Cais na Tire
8oz washed rind cheese, eg, Gubbeen
8oz fresh farmhouse mozzarella, eg, Toonsbridge
- Place a pizza stone in the lower third of your oven and preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 (200ºc). Allow the pizza stone to preheat for at least 30 minutes.
- once your stone is preheated, you can start rolling out your dough. Transfer dough to a lightly work surface and roll out until 20cm/8in in diameter. A pizza peel is really useful. if you don't have one, use an unrimmed or inverted baking sheet (so it slides off easily). Remember to dust with corn meal or flour before placing the dough on so it doesn't stick.
- Brush the dough with some olive oil. Sprinkle with some slat, garlic and rosemary.
- Grate some of each cheese onto the dough. Part of the fun of making pizzas at home is being creative; if there's one cheese you like more than the rest, perhaps go a little heavier with that cheese.
- Open the oven and slide the pizza off of the peel or board onto the pizza stone. Allow pizza to cook until it has reached your desired crust; 10 minutes should do it.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and place on a cutting board. if you let your pizza rest for one to two minutes before you cut it, you will get prettier pieces.