Makes 1 x 20cm cake
- 300g butter, softened
- 300g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g self raising flour, sieved
- Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Using an electric whisk, combine the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Slowly add the lightly beaten eggs.
3. On a low speed add the self-raising flour.
4. Line a 20cm loose bottom cake tin and pour mixture into lined tin.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes until pale golden, risen and springy to touch. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a cool wire rack to cool completely before icing.
6. Optional: Flavour the cake with lemon, orange or vanilla extract.
Learn how to make wonderful cakes and gain confidence in cake decorating at our Cake School