Makes 6 Muffins
100g caster sugar
100ml sunflower oil
150g self raising flour
half tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
150g carrots, grated
Cream Cheese Frosting
100g cream cheese
75g icing sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
Method for Carrot Cake Muffins
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Fill a muffin tray with 6 paper muffin cases.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric whisk to combine the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until well combined. Whisk in the oil until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bread soda, salt and spices. Fold the sieved ingredients into the wet mixture.
Add the carrots into the batter and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases, filling to two thirds full. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 15 mins, until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of each sponge comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool fully.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat the butter until pale and creamy, next beat in the cream cheese (until lump free). Add in the sieved icing sugar gradually. Lastly incorporate the lemon zest (adjust amount of lemon to your taste). Refrigerate the icing for 20 mins.
- When the muffins are cool they can be iced. Either fill a piping bag fitted with a piping nozzle with cream cheese frosting or spread frosting over the top of each muffin.
For more baking recipes
Check out Vanessa's weekly Baking column
Why note participate in a Home Baking class.
See our complete list of baking classes running year round in the cooking school in Dublin City Centre.