275g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bread soda
100g butter, melted
150g caster sugar
1 whole egg
2 tbsp red food colour powder
- Whisk the egg until light and double in size.
- Slowly whisk in the sugar. Combine the melted butter, buttermilk and red food powder.
- Gently mix into the egg mix.
- Sieve all of the dry ingredients together and slowly fold into the egg and butter mix.
- Spoon the batter into a disposable piping bag and pipe onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cook for 12-15 mins at 180C. Allow to rest and transfer onto a wire rack.
- When cool, fill one side with the Italian Buttercream and sandwich together.
50g icing sugar
300g caster sugar
400g butter, softened
- Beat the eggs and icing sugar until at the ribbon stage.
- Boil the caster sugar with the water and glucose to 118C.
- Gradually add the sugar at 118C to the eggs and icing sugar at ribbon stage, whisk continuously and allow to cool to 26C.
- Gradually add the unsalted soft butter while continuing to whisk until a smooth cream is obtained.