275g/10oz plain chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
175g/6oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
325g/12oz caster sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
85g/3oz milk chocolate, broken into large chunks
85g/3oz white chocolate, broken into large chunks
85g/3oz pecans, broken into pieces and lightly roasted
Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F/Gas 4.
- Line a 30 x 20 x 3.5cm (12 x 8 x 1½in) tin with lightly buttered greaseproof paper or foil.
- Put the plain chocolate and butter in a large bowl, place over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the flour, the chocolate chunks and the nuts.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared cake tin. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. When cooked, the top should be firm but the inside should feel soft.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Remove the brownies from the tin and cut into squares to serve.