125ml double cream
vanilla pod/few drops vanilla essence or pinch of nutmeg or ½ tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
25g caster sugar
Preheat oven to 120°C
- Heat milk, cream and flavouring in pan.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in bowl. Add hot milk and cream mixture, stirring all the time (until it coats the back of a spoon). Stir well and pass through a fine strainer.
- Pour the cream into individual ramekins and place in a bain marie (oven tray half filled with warm water).
- Place tray of ramekins in the oven at approx. 120°C for 40-60 minutes until set. Remove from the bain marie and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with sugar and glaze with blow torch or under a salamander.
- Clean dish and serve.
Safety Note: Extreme care must be exercised when using a blowtorch. It is important that your ramekins are oven proof, otherwise they might shatter when the blowtorch is being directed at them.
Cooks Note: The sugar topping will soften within an hour or two, depending on humidity, so it is recommended that you caramelise the crème brulées only a short time before serving.