110g caster sugar
2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped (or tinned mango pulp)
60ml lime juice
1 egg white
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves. Brush down sides of pan with water to ensure all sugar crystals dissolve.
- Boil for 2 minutes, transfer to a small bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Combine cooled sugar syrup, mango flesh, 2 tablespoons lime juice and the egg white into a blender. Blend until very smooth. Add remaining lime juice to taste.
- Taste for sweetness also, as when it is a syrup you want it to be a little sweeter than it is as a sorbet. It will lose some sweetness when it freezes.
- Transfer to a plastic container and freeze, and stir now and then until frozen to break up any crystals. Alternatively freeze in an ice-cream maker.