Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 kg / 2 lb diced lamb, trimmed of fat, diced small and seasoned
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1-2 tbsp fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 handful stalks of coriander, chopped
- 1 x 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 pt chicken stock strong
- 3 tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp hot curry powder (more if you like it hotter)
- ½ tbsp coriander ground
- 3 tsp green cardamom pods, seeds removed, ground in a spice grinder (or 1½ tsp ground cardamom)
- Big handful coriander, chopped
1. Add sunflower oil to a large frying pan, and over a high heat, sauté the lamb until sealed (you know it is sealed when it turns brown on the outside).
2. Lightly sweat off onions in a large wide pan.
3. Add garlic & ginger with all the spices & coriander stalks and cook out the spice be careful not to burn spice, stir all the time.
4. Add tomatoes and chicken stock, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Blitz the tomato mixture with a handheld blender until smooth.
6. Add the sealed lamb, cover and simmer until lamb is tender, which will take approx ¾ - 1hr (give it 2 hours if the lamb chunks are very big). Add chopped coriander & serve with rice / couscous.
To learn how to cook this recipe and more like it why not join our Curry Club?