Pan-Fried Venison, Brussel Sprouts, Venison Salami, Wild Mushrooms, and Toasted Hazelnuts
Makes 4 servings
For the Venison
- 800g venison loin, cut into 4x200g portions
- 1x teaspoon of rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp muscovado sugar
For the Brussels Sprouts
- 125g hazelnuts
- 400g venison salami (standard salami or chorizo will do fine)
- 500g wild mushrooms (preferably Chanterelle’s)
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 20g butter
- Place a heavy-based frying pan on a high heat.
- Mix the cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, black pepper and sugar into a bowl.
- Pat dry the venison loin and season well with the spice mix.
- Add rapeseed oil to the pan and sear the venison, making sure it gets an even browning all the way around.
- Once the venison is browned, reduce the heat and keep turning every 2 minutes, for about 8-9 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the pan and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- While the venison is cooking, toast the hazelnuts on a dry pan over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes, tossing occasionally until fragrant and slightly darkened. Allow to cool and coarsely chop.
- Cook the salami on a dry pan over a medium to high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat starts to render and the salami is crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the salami to a small bowl and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over a medium to high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook until golden brown. Next, add the garlic and thyme, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown.
- Working in batches, add the Brussels sprout leaves and butter, tossing and letting them wilt slightly before adding more. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in the vinegar, hazelnuts, and salami. Toss to combine and arrange on a plate along with the venison steaks.