Vegetarians will be handsomely catered for at your barbecue with this delicious salad.
1 red pepper, deseeded and quartered
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and quartered
10-15 asparagus spears
1 courgette, sliced diagonally into 1cm thick discs
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
15g flat leaf parsley or rocket leaves, chopped
10g fresh basil leaves
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
50g mature farmhouse Gouda shavings, eg, Coolea
½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the barbecue until it is very hot. Grill the peppers, skin side down until the outer skin is blackened and blistered. Place in a bowl, cover immediately with clingfilm and leave for 20 minutes (the clingfilm will trap the steam and loosen the skins). Peel the peppers, discarding the skin and slice lengthways into 3-4 long strips (the strips will be deliciously soft and sweet).
- Snap off the hard woody ends from each asparagus spear (if necessary).
- Brush the asparagus and courgettes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for approx 5 - 10 mins turning halfway through cooking until slightly charred on the outside. Cut the asparagus spears in half.
- Combine all the warm vegetables in a bowl and toss in the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic.
- To serve, combine the chargrilled vegetables with the rocket, basil and shavings of mature farmhouse Gouda.