300g (10oz) squid tubes, sliced into rings
3 tbsp olive oil
100g (4oz) fresh chorizo sausage, thinly diced & sautéed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red peppers, roasted and diced
1 red finger chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch rocket
- Slice the squid tubes across into rings (if there are tentacles, halve or separate the tentacles, depending on how large they are).
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan, add the chorizo and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and chilli and stir-fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomato and some salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Remove all the ingredients from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, and when hot add the squid and stir-fry over a high heat for 2 minutes, until well browned.
- Return the other ingredients to the pan and mix well.
- Serve immediately on a bed of rocket, with chunks of French bread.
Note: This dish could also be made with some cooked and shredded skate meat from a wing, folded into the fried chorizo at the last minute.
Cooks Note: Preparing a Whole Squid
Pull the head away from the body, taking the milky-white intestines with it. Cut off the tentacles from the head and squeeze out the beak like mouth from the center. Cut it off and discard along with the head. Pull out the plastic-like quill from the body and discard. Then pull off the fins from either side of the pouch. Pull off and discard the purple, semi-transparent skin from both the body and the fins, then wash out the pouch with water.