Instead of chorizo sausage, keep this vegetarian by sprinkling grated ginger between the layers of sweet potato.
3 medium (900g) sweet potato, peeled and sliced (2mm thin)
1 garlic clove, crushed
100g chorizo sausage, finely sliced
25g butter, cubed
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Grease a 30cm x 20cm ovenproof dish and cover the base with overlapping slices of potato. Season between layers with salt, pepper and garlic. Cover each layer with a few slices of chorizo.
- Mix the cream and milk together and pour some over each layer.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients and finish with a few slices of chorizo placed over the top.
- Lightly fleck the surface with butter.
- Cover with a lid (or parchment paper then foil, which stops the paper flying off in a fan oven).
- Bake for 1¼ hours. Remove the paper and foil and bake for a further 10 mins until just catching colour on top.