1½ pints / 850ml/ 30 floz Vegetable stock (or chicken stock), heated
1 lb (450g) Garden Peas (good quality frozen are fine)
2 oz (55g) Butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled & chopped
1 Green Chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
Salt, freshly ground pepper & sugar
100ml (5 floz) cream, to serve
- Melt the butter on a gentle heat and add the onion, garlic, chilli. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and cover with the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Next, liquidise the soup with a handheld stick blender until smooth.
- Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of sugar if required.
- Serve with a swirl of softly whipped cream over the top.
To make pea and mint soup:
Add a large handful of mint just before whizzing the soup.
To make pea and ham soup:
Use ham stock (make sure it is not too salty), and chopped up bits of bacon or small chunks of home baked ham.
To make pea and coriander soup:
Add a large handful of coriander just before whizzing the soup.
Note: One stock cube is required to every 1 – 1.5 pints water (use one stock cube for this recipe).