This Recipe Makes 6-8
1 kg Butternut Squash (or Pumpkin)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground allspice
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
130g feta cheese
75g walnuts, roughly chopped
1 pack of filo pastry
150g melted butter
1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Combine the oil, allspice and thyme leaves in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the butternut squash cubes and coat well. Lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until light golden and soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Crumble the feta over the butternut squash, add walnuts and stir to combine.
- Brush a shallow oven proof dish with some of the melted butter.
- For individual pies: cut large circles out of 5 pieces of filo pastry and brush circles with butter. Arrange in overlapping layers in a muffin tray and leave the excess hanging over the side of the dish. Spoon the butternut squash mixture into the small pies. Fold the overlapping pastry over the filling. Brush with butter and arrange any remaining sheets of pastry over the pie. Brush again with butter.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 180°C and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.